Which University Courses are InSpEd Endorsed?
Using the InSpEd Standards as a guide, nine criteria have been identified as essential components of a postgraduate qualification in special/inclusive education. These criteria address the skills and knowledge required to work in a range of special education positions in prior to school, school and post school positions. Information available on University websites has been used to identify courses meeting the nine criteria through compulsory units of study. Universities not meeting the criteria for provisional endorsement may do so following the provision of more detailed information. Full endorsement will be given if universities provide additional supporting information relating to the content of their courses.
The following 2023 courses have provisional InSpEd endorsement.
We expect that these will be the courses offered in 2024.
- Master of Education (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Master of Education with a specialisation in Complex Communication Needs
- Master of Education Specialisation Special and Inclusive Education
- Master of Special and Inclusive Education
- Master of Education (Special Education)
- Master of Inclusive Education (Advanced Practice)
- Master of Inclusive Education
- Master of Inclusive Education (Leadership)
- Master of Education (Inclusive Practice)
- Master of Autism
To date, more than 30 relevant courses across Australia have been assessed and those meeting the nine essential criteria through compulsory subjects have been given provisional endorsement by InSpEd. Other courses will be added once they are identified as meeting the criteria. Courses will be checked on an ongoing basis to ensure that the criteria continue to be met.
Providing sufficient evidence that courses completed many years ago meet the strict standards of eligibility applied by InSpEd has proven to be difficult for many applying for certification. In order to make the process easier, we are grandfathering past courses that have the approval of the Expert Panel. For current and future courses, we will require institutions to apply for endorsement.