6 Successful Strategies to Teach the Australian Curriculum to Students with Intellectual Disability and Autism

InSpEd, Objectives Special Education Certification


Wednesday, 18 September 2019


9:00 AM - 4:30 PM


Macquarie University Special Education Centre, North Ryde, NSW
6 Successful Strategies to Teach the Australian Curriculum to Students with Intellectual Disability and Autism

This course is now fully booked.


If you are interested in attending 6 Successful Strategies to Teach the Australian Curriculum to Students with Intellectual Disability and Autism in the future please contact us at info@insped.org.au.

This 6-hour professional learning course prepares participants to plan units of work for all students using Universal Design for Learning as a framework.

The following six tools are taught to participants using a “Tell-Show-Try-Apply” (Browder et al., 2011) approach.

Tool 1. Universal Design for Learning

Tool 2. Student Directed Learning (self determination)

Tool 3. Assistive Technology and Peer Supports

Tool 4. Systematic Instruction (including time delay, least intrusive prompting, task-analytic instruction)

Tool 5. Research-to-practice

Tool 6. Training to generalise

Participants will be ‘told’ of the evidence and research behind the practice. Next, they will be ‘shown’ an example video or sample of the practice with real teachers/students with intellectual disability/autism spectrum disorder.  Next, teachers will ‘try’ the practice via hands-on application activities and role-playing.  Finally, teachers will be expected to complete the training and ‘apply’ the practices within their own teaching setting, with follow-up feedback.

This Professional learning course is based on a book published by Dr Bree Jimenez, 6 Successful Strategies for Teaching the Australian Curriculum, and is designed for teachers of students with intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder in mainstream classes, special classes and special schools.

Bree Jimenez, Expert Panel, InSpEd


Special Education Pedagogy and Research Consultant, Mater Dei School; Honorary Research Associate, University of Sydney; Expert Panel Member, Institute of Special Educators

Dr Bree Jimenez is an experienced researcher and practitioner. Her teaching experience has included students with moderate and severe intellectual disability in both primary and secondary classrooms. The focus of her research is general curriculum access and assessment for students with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities, including autism. Bree has published several research manuscripts in peer reviewed journals, multiple book chapters, academic programs, and a book on strategies to support academics for students with severe disabilities. Bree’s most recent research focuses on the use of teacher-directed professional development, including mentoring and coaching within the school environment, to support the implementation of research- and evidence-based strategies for students with intellectual disability and autism. She works closely with school systems and state departments of education both nationally and internationally.

Ticket Price Includes

Includes course material, catering (morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea) and parking if required.

Cancellation Policy

  1. An 80% refund of the course costs will be offered for cancelations up to one week before the course. The remaining 20% will be retained to cover administration costs.
  2. No refund is available for cancellations within a week of the course. Another person may attend in your absence. An 80% refund may be offered at the discretion of InSpEd on production of a medical certificate.


For all enquiries please contact us at info@insped.org.au.

Loading Map....