Aims of the Institute of Special Educators
To improve the quality of special education provision in Australia, including special education for:
- infants and young children in early intervention services
- children and young adults in school programs
- adults in tertiary education, job support programs, post school activity programs and other services designed to improve quality of life.
Objectives of the Institute of Special Educators
- Disseminate information in the form of research summaries, newsletters/magazines short videos and podcasts to:
- support educators, family members and other professionals responsible for the learning of individuals with disabilities and learning difficulties;
- assist Special Educators to keep up to date with developments in their field.
- Offer professional development and accredit appropriate professional learning offered by others
- Advocate on behalf of the special education profession with State and Federal governments and other education authorities
- Implement and support quality research in the field of special/inclusive education and support the presentation and publication of research findings
- Establish and maintain a highly qualified panel of experts to:
- develop and maintain standards for professionals working in the field;
- make recommendations for member certification and endorsement of preservice and inservice courses
The Institute of Special Educators Limited has been established under its constitution as a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. Its principal object is to improve the quality of Special Education provision in Australia.